Original article
First listed in 1884 as the property of John Fogarty, a partner in the firms which constructed the railroad tracks from Fargo, ND to Glendive, MT. However records of the first occupants were list as renters Joseph and Mary Smith.
The current home was constructed c.1910 by Walter and Lucy Parkins and is a fine example of an arts and crafts style home. The interior still boasts the original pantry, woodwork and light fixtures. The exterior underwent a major renovation in 2024 but keeping to the historic features of the home.
Walter Parkin first came to Dakota Territory in 1884. He served as Indian Trader at Fort Yates from 1889 -1903 and was later appointed as a livestock purchasing agent on the Standing Rock Reservation.
A rancher himself, he owned the north half of section 5, township 135N range 80W as well as the entire section 29 in township 136N range 80W and raised mostly sheep.
He served on the Board of Directors of the Merchants National Bank of Mandan including as Vice President at his death in 1914.
Upon his passing, his wife Lucy took in renters including a young lawyer named Charles Cooley. He met and fell in love with the Parkin's daughter Ruth. Charles Cooley and Ruth Parkin were married 1919 and remained in the home with Ruth’s mother.
Mr. Cooley served as Mandan City Commissioner for 8 years starting in 1928. He was instrumental in assuring a replacement building was constructed when the Mandan City Hall burned down the night after his first city commission meeting. Today, we refer to this replacement building as the Collins Street Fire Station.
Mr. Cooley was also appointed to various civic advisory and state-wide boards. He also served on the Board of Directors of the First National Bank for 22 years.
The ownership of the home passed to the Cooley's in 1938 upon the death of Lucy Parkin. Charles Cooley remained in the home until 1959 until his death. His widow Ruth continued to live in the home until 1981.
Copy-edited article
The property was first listed in 1884 as belonging to John Fogarty, a partner in firms that constructed railroad tracks from Fargo, North Dakota, to Glendive, Montana. The first recorded occupants, however, were renters Joseph and Mary Smith.
Walter and Lucy Parkin built the present Arts and Crafts house around 1910. The interior retains its original pantry, woodwork, and light fixtures. A major exterior renovation completed in 2024 preserved the building's historic features.
Walter Parkin first came to Dakota Territory in 1884. He served as an Indian trader at Fort Yates from 1889 through 1903 and was later appointed a livestock-purchasing agent on the Standing Rock Reservation.
A rancher himself, Parkin owned the northern half of Section 5, Township 135 North, Range 80 West, as well as all of Section 29, Township 136 North, Range 80 West. He primarily raised sheep.
Parkin served on the Merchants National Bank of Mandan's board of directors and was its vice president when he died in 1914.
After his death, Lucy took in boarders, including a young attorney named Charles Cooley. Cooley met and fell in love with the Parkins' daughter, Ruth. They married in 1919 and remained in the house with Lucy.
Cooley served as a Mandan city commissioner for eight years beginning in 1928. The city hall burned the night after his first commission meeting, and he helped ensure that a replacement was built. The building is now known as the Collins Avenue Civic Building.
Cooley was appointed to several civic advisory and statewide boards and served for 22 years on the First National Bank's board of directors.
Ownership passed to Charles and Ruth Cooley after Lucy Parkin died in 1938. Charles lived there until his death in 1959, and Ruth remained until 1981.