Original article
This home, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, is one of the oldest houses in Mandan. It was built in 1918 by Robert W. Welsh, Sr., whose family came to Dakota territory in 1874. The family had two children while living in the home, one sone and one daughter; Earl and Mary. Robert’s father was a solder at Fort Buford and later at Fort Abraham Lincoln.
Mr. and Mrs. Welsh started the first door-to-door milk delivery service in Mandan. In 1896, Robert took a job as a brakeman with the Northern Pacific Railroad and was promoted to conductor in 1906. He worked for the railroad until 1938. He was a member of the Order of Railroad Conductor’s Brotherhood of Trainmen, and Benefit of Association of Railroad Employees, along with the Knights of Pythias.
In 1943, the home was sold to the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Wisconsin. The home served as parsonage until it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Larry Ness in 1979.
The Ness family then sold the home to the current owners, Mr. and Mrs. Steven Wolff. They purchased the home in 1980 and reside there today.
The home is an outstanding example of the particular style of architecture of the working-class residential construction of its era and region. The subdued exterior and rich wood interior finishings represent the status of the Welsh family in local society during this era. It retains a high degree of material integrity at both exterior and interior detail and reflects the exuberance of the post-Victoria era.
Copy-edited article
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, this is one of Mandan's oldest houses. Robert W. Welsh Sr., whose family came to Dakota Territory in 1874, built it in 1918. Robert and his wife had two children, Earl and Mary, while living there. Robert's father had served as a soldier at Fort Buford and later at Fort Abraham Lincoln.
Mr. and Mrs. Welsh established Mandan's first door-to-door milk-delivery service. Robert became a Northern Pacific Railroad brakeman in 1896 and was promoted to conductor in 1906. He remained with the railroad until 1938. His associations included the Order of Railroad Conductors, Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, Benefit Association of Railway Employees, and Knights of Pythias.
The Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Wisconsin purchased the house in 1943. It served as a parsonage until Larry and Mrs. Ness purchased it in 1979.
The Ness family sold the house to Steven and Mrs. Wolff, who purchased it in 1980.
The house is an outstanding regional example of working-class residential architecture from its period. Its subdued exterior and richly finished wooden interior reflect the Welsh family's place in local society. It retains a high degree of integrity in both its exterior and interior details and expresses the exuberance of the post-Victorian era.