Original article
In 1909, W. A. Lanterman, L. N. Cary, C. L. Timmerman, E. H. Hugh and T. A. Cummins spearheaded week-long fund drive to establish a modern hospital in the 29-year old city of Mandan. The effort was successful, resulting in the formation of a stock company, capitalized at $50,000, with 100 stockholders including 50 area farmers.In August 1909, stockholders announced the Heartview Addition location of Mandan's new hospital. The meeting was held in the Business Men's Club rooms at the InterOcean Hotel. Other sites considered were in the First Northern Pacific Addition and the Helmsworth and McLean's Addition."The Heartview location will certainly make an excellent location for the magnificent $30,000 building ... The site is surely a fine one for any public institution , situated on the slope of a hill facing south, in the west end of the city, right in the heart of what will eventually be one of the best residence districts of Mandan," reported the Mandan Pioneer Newspaper.The construction contract was awarded in October 1909 to C.E. Wierschke of Glenwood Wisconsin for $22,400. The building was finished in 1910, and opened for business June 11. Mandan's first formal hospital was a three story brick building constructed on the western edge of town.
The hospital had 12 private rooms, 10 double rooms and a large ward, besides apartments for attendants and employees. The eight doctors practicing in Mandan were given initial medical privileges. Seven registered nurses would staff the facility. The third floor was originally expected to be used to establish a three-year nursing school.
In 1918, it's operation was taken over by the area's Methodist Churches and provided services to patients of all faiths and renamed "Deaconess Hospital."
In May 1936, a new annex and nurses home was dedicated to the building at the cost of $12,500 (or $195,000 in 2010 dollars) to accommodate Mandan's growing population and to assure adequate nursing staff for the hospital.Later, control of the operation and the building was turned over to the City of Mandan, and operated on a non-profit basis and renamed "The Mandan Hospital".
In June 1961, with 91.8% "Yes" vote, Mandan residents overwhelming approved a $400,000 bond issue (or $3 million in 2010 dollars) for a new hospital building. Originally planned as a 56-bed facility $950,000 ($6.7 million in 2010 dollars) project, the building opened operation as a modern 63-bed facility on September 9, 1963. A five-doctor clinic was added in 1964. An exchange was provided to the facility off Interstate-94 four lane highway when it was constructed in 1965. The Heartview Alcoholism Treatment Clinic purchased the former Mandan Hospital and adjacent nursing home buildings in November 1963 and converted it into a 40-bed treatment facility offering both in-patient and out-patient services. As the only facility of its type between Minneapolis and Seattle, both services and size expanded. In 1978, a addition brought the in-patient capacity to 76-beds but included the demolition of the original building. The 16-bed adolescent unit completed in 1986 brought the facility to its peak size at 91 total in-patient beds. Heartview served patients from across the United States and Canada. Now operating as the Heartview Foundation, financial challenges forced their operation to downsize and the program relocated to Bismarck in 1996.The building was purchased by HIT, Inc. which countinued to expand services to individuals with physical or development disabilities. HIT moved its operation to a new expanded facility in north Mandan location in 2012. The building is now owned by ND Teen Challenge.
Copy-edited article
In 1909, W. A. Lanterman, L. N. Cary, C. L. Timmerman, E. H. Hugh, and T. A. Cummins led a weeklong fundraising drive to establish a modern hospital in 29-year-old Mandan. The successful campaign created a stock company capitalized at $50,000 (about $1,792,000 in 2025 dollars), with 100 stockholders, including 50 area farmers.
Stockholders announced in August 1909 that the hospital would be built in the Heartview Addition. The meeting was held in the Business Men's Club rooms at the InterOcean Hotel. Other locations considered were in the First Northern Pacific Addition and the Helmsworth and McLean's Addition.
The Mandan Pioneer praised the south-facing hillside location on the western edge of town as a suitable site for the proposed $30,000 (about $1,075,000 in 2025 dollars) public building. In October 1909, the construction contract was awarded to C. E. Wierschke of Glenwood, Wisconsin, for $22,400 (about $803,000 in 2025 dollars). Mandan's first formal hospital, a three-story brick building, was completed in 1910 and opened June 11.
The hospital contained 12 private rooms, ten double rooms, a large ward, and apartments for attendants and employees. Mandan's eight practicing physicians received initial privileges, and seven registered nurses staffed the facility. The third floor was initially expected to house a three-year nursing school.
Area Methodist churches assumed operation in 1918. The institution, renamed Deaconess Hospital, served patients of all faiths.
A new annex and nurses' home were dedicated in May 1936. The $12,500 (about $290,000 in 2025 dollars) expansion accommodated Mandan's growing population and helped ensure adequate nursing staff. Control of the institution and building later passed to the City of Mandan, which operated it as the nonprofit Mandan Hospital.
In June 1961, Mandan voters approved a $400,000 (about $4,310,000 in 2025 dollars) bond issue for a new hospital with 91.8 percent voting yes. Initially planned as a 56-bed, $950,000 (about $10,235,000 in 2025 dollars) facility, it opened September 9, 1963, with 63 beds. A five-physician clinic was added in 1964, and an interchange connected the site with the newly constructed four-lane Interstate 94 in 1965.
Heartview Alcoholism Treatment Clinic purchased the former hospital and adjacent nurses' home in November 1963 and converted the complex into a 40-bed facility offering inpatient and outpatient care. As the only institution of its kind between Minneapolis and Seattle, Heartview expanded both its services and capacity. A 1978 addition increased inpatient capacity to 76 beds but required demolition of the original hospital. A 16-bed adolescent unit completed in 1986 brought the complex to a peak of 91 inpatient beds.
Heartview served patients from across the United States and Canada. Financial difficulties eventually forced the Heartview Foundation to downsize, and the program moved to Bismarck in 1996. HIT Inc. purchased the building and continued expanding services for people with physical or developmental disabilities. HIT moved to a larger northern Mandan facility in 2012. The former hospital property was subsequently owned by North Dakota Teen Challenge.