Original article
First Presbyterian Church began as a "home mission" to Dakota Territory. Issac Oliver Sloan had spent the majority of his life as a frontier pastor. For many years he traveled along the Northern Pacific Railway preaching and establishing new churches. In 1873, he would help establish a congregation in Bismarck and was elected its pastor. The Mandan Pioneer paper noted "Rev, I.O. Sloan would preach at the school house" on September 11, 1880. The congregation would intially meet wherever they could get space including a saloon and the city's log school house. Property in the city was eventually purchased and a church building constructed. Several Eastern churches helped furnish the building with chairs, communion ware and a large bible was given from a congregation in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Sloan's hometown.
The congregation officially formed on August 21, 1881 upon completion of the first wooden church near the corner of Dilworth Avenue (currently Third Ave NW) & Third Street NW. According to a 1883 edition of the Mandan Pioneer newspaper, "is the largest and most expensive house of worship in the city... A large basement was furnished for a Sabbath School." Mr. C.A. Heegard served as one of the early superintendents of their on-site school. Sloan was appointed Mandan's pastor in 1882.
In June 1916, the original wood church was moved across the street to provide a temporary venue for continuation of services while a new brick church was built at the original site. In October 1916, "With appropriate ceremonies, the cornerstone of the new First Presbyterian Chuch was laid" with much fanfair in front of a large audience of members and friends, as reported by the Mandan Pioneer newspaper.
The service opened with a hymn, followed by a prayer from Rev F. W. Thompson, pastor of the church. Rev C.H. Brown of the Christ Episcopal Church then gave the scripture reading, followed by Rev F. W. Gress of the Methodist Church giving greetings from the sister church. The cornerstone was laid by Judge A. A. Bruce of the State Supreme Court. A copper box was placed under the stone which contained a picture of the old church, a program of the cornerstone ceremony, a program of Pastor Thompson's installation, a list of the officers of the church, copies of the Mandan Daily Pioneer, Mandan News and the Mandan Republican newspapers." During the construction period, church services were held in the Commercial Club rooms, on top of the former Gambles Store on Main Street. Dedication of the new church was held July 8, 1917.
On Sunday July 8, 1917, the new church was formally dedicated hosting three services that day. Church-going people of all denominations participated in the celebration. The special speaker for the event was Rev. George E. Hunt from Wisconsin. Pastor Rev. F. W. Thompson officated. While impressed with the building's exterior, the eight stained-glass windows, oak pews seating 350 and the richness of the interior and its furnishings, the highlight of the day occurred at the conclusion of the late afternoon's service as the sunset as streamed through the Sloan Memorial Window above the main entrance.
Among the other ministers of the church were the Rev. Hugh H. Owen and the Rev. I Scherpenisse. The building was completed for a cost of $35,000 ($900,000 2025$) and was completely paid for at its opening. Fundraising continued and raised another $5000 for the church's pipe organ, which was installed in July 1919. In 1957, a wing was added to the south of the building, offering 2 floors of classrooms for education programs. The $60,000 addition also included a small chapel, church office space and a study for the pastor. Ground breaking ceremonies were hosted by Reverend John Kuyper and Mrs. Lyon Cary, who had been a member of the parish since 1889. George Toman was school superintendent.The prior pastor for 25 years was Gilbert W. Stewart. Ed Toman was the chairman of the Building Committee and W. A. Wise was the chairman of the Education Committee.
The Reverend A. Benjamin Dove Jr. would assume the role of pastor in September 1959. He and his wife Barbara moved to Mandan from Minnewaukan, ND. Dr. Dove would serve as pastor of the congregation for over 30 years. The east side Sunday School rooms from the 1916 building were remodeled in 1968 into Stark Hall. And a new chancel and a $25,000 pipe organ was dedicated May 11, 1969. In 2014, the church members renamed and rededicated as the Dove Educational Wing in recognition of their service.
Copy-edited article
First Presbyterian Church began as a home mission to Dakota Territory. Isaac Oliver Sloan spent most of his life as a frontier pastor, traveling along the Northern Pacific Railway to preach and establish churches. In 1873, he helped establish a congregation in Bismarck and was elected its pastor. The Mandan Pioneer reported that "Rev. I. O. Sloan would preach at the school house" on September 11, 1880. The Mandan congregation initially met wherever space was available, including a saloon and the city's log schoolhouse. It eventually purchased property and constructed a church. Several Eastern congregations provided chairs and communion ware, and a congregation in Sloan's hometown of Philadelphia gave the church a large Bible.
The congregation was formally organized on August 21, 1881, when its first wooden church was completed near Dilworth Avenue, now Third Avenue NW, and Third Street NW. An 1883 edition of the Mandan Pioneer called it "the largest and most expensive house of worship in the city" and noted that "a large basement was furnished for a Sabbath School." C. A. Heegard served as one of the early superintendents of the church school. Sloan was appointed Mandan's pastor in 1882.
In June 1916, the original wooden church was moved across the street so services could continue while a new brick church was constructed on the original site. The cornerstone was laid in October 1916 before a large audience. The service opened with a hymn and a prayer by pastor F. W. Thompson. C. H. Brown of Christ Episcopal Church read scripture, and F. W. Gress of the Methodist Church offered greetings. North Dakota Supreme Court Justice A. A. Bruce laid the cornerstone.
A copper box placed beneath the stone contained a photograph of the old church; programs from the cornerstone ceremony and Thompson's installation; a list of church officers; and copies of the Mandan Daily Pioneer, Mandan News, and Mandan Republican. During construction, services were held in the Commercial Club rooms above the former Gambles store on Main Street.
The new church was formally dedicated with three services on Sunday, July 8, 1917. People from churches of all denominations joined the celebration. The Reverend George E. Hunt of Wisconsin was the special speaker, and Pastor Thompson officiated. The congregation admired the building's exterior, eight stained-glass windows, 350 oak seats, and richly furnished interior. The day's highlight came at the conclusion of the late-afternoon service, when the setting sun streamed through the Sloan Memorial window above the main entrance.
Other ministers included the Reverend Hugh H. Owen and the Reverend I. Scherpenisse. The $35,000 (about $880,000 in 2025 dollars) building was fully paid for when it opened. Fundraising continued, producing another $5,000 for a pipe organ installed in July 1919.
In 1957, a south wing added two floors of classrooms, a small chapel, church offices, and a pastor's study. The Reverend John Kuyper and Mrs. Lyon Cary, a parish member since 1889, hosted the groundbreaking ceremony. George Toman was school superintendent. Gilbert W. Stewart had served as pastor for the preceding 25 years. Ed Toman chaired the Building Committee, and W. A. Wise chaired the Education Committee.
The Reverend A. Benjamin Dove Jr. became pastor in September 1959. He and his wife, Barbara, moved to Mandan from Minnewaukan, North Dakota. Dove served the congregation for more than 30 years. In 1968, Sunday school rooms on the east side of the 1916 building were remodeled as Stark Hall. A new chancel and $25,000 pipe organ were dedicated on May 11, 1969. In 2014, church members renamed and rededicated the Dove Educational Wing in recognition of the Doves' service.